Eviction Moratorium

This information can change. Please double check resources and continue to monitor them for up to date information.

Information about eviction protections

Oregon’s statewide eviction moratorium expired on June 30, 2021, and is no longer active.

Effective July 1, 2021, tenants must pay current and future rent. Tenants cannot be evicted for owing rent for the months of April 2020 through June 2021.  Rent that was originally due during that time period is due in full by February 28, 2022.

However, starting July 1, Oregon Senate Bill 278 provides protection from nonpayment evictions to renters who apply for rent assistance if they provide documentation of their application to their landlords. 

Tenants should apply for rent assistance right away.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) federal eviction moratorium may also offer protection to renters through July 31, 2021. 

Renters are encouraged to apply for help paying their current and back rent as soon as possible, even if they take the steps to access the protections of the CDC’s federal eviction moratorium. Learn more about applying for rent assistance.

How to qualify for new eviction protections 

Starting July 1, Oregon SB 278 provides protection from eviction to renters who apply for rent assistance if they provide documentation to their landlord of their application. Protection from eviction lasts for 60 days from the time a tenant provides documentation of their rental assistance application.


Eligible renters who live in Multnomah County may be entitled to 90 days of protection after providing their landlord with the required notice. The 90 days of additional protection start when the tenant provides documentation to their landlord of their rent assistance application. 

Tenants should apply for rent assistance right away.

If you have additional questions about how and when to submit evidence of your application, please contact your rent assistance provider or Oregon Law CenterCommunity Alliance of Tenants or Legal Aid Services of Oregon.


What to do after July 1, 2021

Rent relief funds are available to help tenants pay current rent, as well as back rent. Tenants are strongly encouraged to apply for rent assistance to pay their July rent as soon as possible, even if they choose to submit the CDC’s Protection Declaration form.

Learn more about applying for rent assistance, or apply directly at oregonrentalassistance.org

What to do if you receive an eviction notice

If you receive a notice of eviction for nonpayment, call 2-1-1 immediately to get directly connected to information and resources about rapid-payment rent assistance that can stand as a last defense against eviction.

Renters who need legal advice can find support from community resources such as Oregon Law CenterCommunity Alliance of Tenants or Legal Aid Services of Oregon.

CDC Federal Eviction Moratorium: Protection through July 31, 2021

To be protected by the CDC’s eviction moratorium, renters must fill out the CDC’s Eviction Protection Declaration form and submit it to their landlord to be protected for the month of July. Find the CDC Eviction Protection Declaration form in other languages here

Submit the signed declaration page to the individual or company you rent from. Renters are strongly encouraged to keep a record of when the form was sent and to keep a copy of the signed form for their own records.