This information can change. Please double check sources and continue to monitor them for up to date information.
As of 7/29/21, Governor Kate Brown has directed the Oregon Health Authority and the Oregon Dept of Education to create a rule to require masks indoors for K-12 schools to better align with CDC mask guidelines.
To prepare for the 2021-22 school year, the Oregon Department of Education has put new guidance entitled Ready Schools, Safe Learners Resiliency Framework. This framework focuses school and school districts on partnering with local public health and other stakeholders to determine best courses of action on a localized level.
You can find the contact info for your school and school district in the Oregon School Directory.
While many of the recommendations offered in this new framework are advisory, designed to support the return to in person learning, some state laws and rules remain in place.
- Per CDC order, masks must be worn on public transit which includes school buses
- School districts must have and maintain a communicable disease management plan to describe measures put in place to limit the spread of COVID-19
- School administrators are required to exclude staff and students from school whom they have reason to suspect have been exposed to COVID-19
- Districts must meet all standard instructional time requirements (this was slightly altered last year to accommodate more teacher support for parents)
- Attendance requirements return to pre pandemic standards. Remote instructional models must take attendance daily.
This list is not exhaustive, please refer to the above referenced Ready Schools, Safe Learners Resiliency Framework for further details.
The Framework further issues strong advisories on
- Maintaining masks and physical distancing guidelines in indoor settings for all students and faculty, ages 5 and up, who remain unvaccinated.
- Create protocols for handwashing
- Centering and offering supports for faculty & student mental health
- Using a cohort strategy. Establish consistent groups of student to stay together for a significant portion of the day to limit exposure
- Ensure effective ventilation on the premises.