1. 211info COVID-19 Information & Resources
  2. Businesses, Organizations & Institutions


This information can change. Please double check resources and continue to monitor them for up to date information.

With the passing of House Bill 4401, the statewide eviction moratorium will continue through June 30, 2021. Please note, rules and restrictions of the Multnomah County eviction moratorium remain in place and supersede the state moratorium.

The new bill establishes the Landlord Compensation Fund. Oregon Housing and Community Services (OHCS) is working to provide financial relief for landlords whose tenants have past due balances. The fund will cover 80% of back due rent and require the landlord to forgive the remaining 20%. Relief provided must be credited to tenant accounts. The first round of applications closes Friday, March 5, 2021 at 4pm.

Apply Online

To utilize the eviction moratorium, tenants must sign a declaration of hardship. The tenant has up until the first appearance in court of an eviction case to sign and deliver the declaration to their landlord. If evicting a tenant due to non payment of rent, a landlord is required to provide information on the eviction moratorium and a copy of the declaration. 

Many of the current regulations and restrictions continue to apply to this eviction moratorium including:

  • Landlords may not charge late fees or penalties for delinquent rent or utility payments
  • Landlords may not evict tenants for non payment of rent
  • Landlords may not report back due rent or utility bills to credit reporting agencies
  • Landlords may not begin no cause evictions unless the landlord is selling the property, demolishing or renovating the property, or moving themselves or their family into the property. All these scenarios do require 90 day notice.

Tenants who do not choose to utilize the eviction moratorium extension must be beginning paying rent. Back rent that was originally due between April 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020 is not due in full until March 31, 2021. 

More information on the eviction moratorium is available here.