This information can change. Please double check resources and continue to monitor them for up to date information.
Effective July 1, 2021, tenants must pay current and future rent. Tenants cannot be evicted for owing rent for the months of April 2020 through June 2021. Rent that was originally due during that time period is due in full by February 28, 2022.
However, starting July 1, Oregon Senate Bill 278 provides protection from nonpayment evictions to renters who apply for rent assistance if they provide documentation of their application to their landlords.
Landlord Guarantee Program: Landlords may be eligible for funds if you have a tenant with back-owed rent and/or non-payment charges and you did not issue a termination notice or initiate or continue an action for possession as required by the “safe harbor” tenant protections (Senate Bill 278).
You may qualify for funds if:
- Your tenant provided you with documentation from a rent assistance provider that they applied for rent assistance and you:
1) delayed delivering a Termination Notice for Non-payment, or
2) delayed initiating or continuing an action for possession based on a termination notice for non-payment and
- The tenant has back-owed rent and/or eligible non-payment charges that accrued during the period of delay, and
- The tenant lives in Oregon
More information about the Landlord Guarantee Program, and how to apply, can be found on the Homeforward website here.
The Landlord Compensation Fund which was established as part of House Bill 4401, closed as of March, 2021. However, information on the current safe harbor protections for tenants in Oregon can be found here: