The best way to protect yourself is to avoid exposure to the virus. There are easy steps you can take to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and many types of illness - including the flu - especially to older adults and those with underlying chronic diseases:
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue and then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces that are often touched.
- Try to maintain space between yourself and others.
- Follow the governor’s orders on physical distancing.
- Follow the governor's guidance on wearing a mask.
- Follow CDC’s travel guidance.
Find more information on How to Protect Yourself & Others from the CDC here.